Sunday, December 8, 2013

Video Games as Literature

Video Games as literature, who would have thought? Nate Powers did, and her presented it to our class as a final project. Now, I will have to admit that I am not into video games, I think the closest that I can claim at this time is Candy Crush and I don't even play that consistently. Maybe when I was in elementary school and played Organ Trail like the rest of the 90s product.

Back on track though, Nate along with the class made some very valid points about video games being literature. By playing the game you are a part of a story. You are the master of what occurs in that story through triumphs and failures. I think that video games are a neat way to interpret a story. Also to the fact that you can be a part of a planned story or create your own. It is a neat extension of the story as well if the book already exists. I think that it allows the readers to visualize a setting and brings that to life for the reader.

I do not think that video games should be solely relied on for giving the setting, you should be able to envision that for yourself to some degree. I do think that using the game as an extension of what is already there or to make your own story a brilliant way to have interaction with a story that you have read. I think that it could potentially increase more discussion around books, especially in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment