Friday, December 13, 2013

Reading to Kindergartners

On Thursday I went to my mom's class to visit her and meet her class for the first time. They were a rambunctious group, but that's okay. I walked them back from lunch with my mom and volunteered to read them a book, something I enjoy doing with my mom's class.

Initially I was going to pick, but then my mom remembered that the Star of the week needed her book read. So I was shown the book, a small Lion King book that could fit in the palm of my hand. I began reading. I had them on the edge of their seat, with a story most of them knew my heart! It was so neat to see how engaged they were with a story they had probably heard a hundred times, but it was like they were hearing it for the first time.

They would predict what was going to happen next, ask questions, and were over all very interested in the plot line. After being in Writing for the Digital age, it was neat to see how much these kids still enjoyed reading, like the project about the kids interviews that we saw. They loved hearing the story. My mom said that they could probably be read to all day and be content with just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment