Monday, September 9, 2013

Techno Genius: That’s what they think!

Technology has been intertwined in my life since I can remember. We had a computer since I was at least five and have had one ever since. With that, I have, well we as a generation have been targeted to know everything about technology. But guess what, we don’t! Novel idea, yeah I know! However, it is the truth. I do know a lot, but not everything about technology. We have entered a transitional stage though. We have gone from a paper pencil society to a screen and touch screen. 

Many view these changes as negative and think that they are hurting our children and they won’t learn as much. I will have to say that I am skeptical, but I know that children are actually learning more tablets and interactive readers than I did as a child. A prime example is to look at what children are expected to know when they leave kindergarten now versus when I was in school. We are from an age where kindergarteners blog, tweet, and are learning with more technology than ever. My mom, who is a kindergarten teacher, had a student come to her during free choice time who couldn’t remember what her blog password was and wanted to blog during free choice. Holy cow! I didn’t even know what a password was at five, let alone a blog!

While I think that technology is wonderful, I think that we should still encourage kids to play imaginatively and not be in front of the “boob tube” as my grandma use to call the television! However, we have to embrace technology and what it can do for us, especially writing. Technology potentially can improve how and why we write because now our audience is not just the teach or class that is critiquing our work, but potentially the entire world if we want. 


Technology will forever be changing our lives and has forever changed our lives, from pencils, to chalkboard, now computers, technology has always been apart of our lives. Technology has made our lives better and worse in some respect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment