Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Live Tweeting an Event, Yes or No?

I will have to be honest, Tweeting is something that I have had to train myself to participate in. When I first got my account, I really just enjoyed all of the snarky things that people would say or the clever ways people would put something in so few words. I also used Twitter as a constant source of news and information of what was going on but hardly participated in the conversation.

To me Twitter was something of a feat. I felt and still feel that you have to constantly Tweet to remain relevant or what you say will just get lost in the other information that is being put out and broadcasted. This is where I had the most trouble with Twitter, I did not want to be a constant flow of information, good or bad. I have found that it is fun to Tweet during an event. You can quote a speaker, give a shout out to people you see there, I have even participated in a national TweetUp with PRSSA this past August. This was really interesting, it was like a giant conference over Twitter that anyone could see by simply following #PRSSA. There is a TweetUp planned for one of my classes this semester as well.
So to the whole, Live Tweeting and event, from movies to concerts, I say there is a certain etiquette that must be followed. Should you Tweet during a broadway production, probably not. Midnight showing premiere of a movie, I'm going to have to go with a no on that as well. What about a concert? YES! Speaker? Go for it! Class? We do in writing in the Digital Age!

To me, Tweeting is like taking little notes and sharing them with the people that follow you. It a sweet simple message and if it is coined right can be retweeted time and time again. Then again everything that is retweeted is not always that great, but that is social media for you.

So all of you Tweeters, go and Tweet you hearts out about what is going on around you!

No comments:

Post a Comment