Monday, November 4, 2013

A New Age Genre

Until reading the chapter, Writing on Screen, in, A Better Pencil, I forgot to really consider email, instant messaging, Twitter, and other digital forms of writing as their own genre. You would have thought that at my age I would have thought of that, but I did not. I think I will default that it is because it is so new that I forgot.

Especially considering email in this new genre, I have had several classes that focus on how to write a good email. Something that we have talked about in class that at one time had no rules and now has a certain "structure" to follow and even policies to abide by. I think that with all new genres there is a "beta" that they go through even after the actual beta testing of a new technology. Your focus group may have defined a way to use the new genre, but when the public gets a hold of it, there is a whole new beta that begins.

The hosts of these new genres even go through and evolution to suit the genre. Just consider the evolution of Facebook from 2004 to 2012. It went from a platform where you just shared information to a place where you share thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment